Bougie, Palmer named flag national team coaches
Football Canada has named François Bougie head coach of its Senior Women’s Flag Football National Team while Chad Palmer will serve the same role with Canada’s Senior Men’s Flag Football National Team. The pair hope to improve upon a women’s fourth and men’s fifth place finish at the 2016 IFAF Flag Football World Championships in Miami, Florida.
“We’re excited to return both Canadian national team head coaches in preparation for the 2018 IFAF Flag Football World Championships,” said Aaron Geisler, manager of development, Football Canada. “The competition at these events continues to improve as does flag football around the world. Following our experience in Miami a review of our program indicated that it was time we move from provincially-based to identified flag national teams.”
Bougie continues storied tenure with Women’s Flag National Team
Bougie became Canada’s first Women’s Flag Football National Team’s head coach at IFAF competition in 2008 and has had a tremendous amount of success. Under his leadership, Canada’s women have reached the podium in three of their four IFAF world championship appearances including gold in 2010 and 2014 as well as silver in 2008.
He also helped Canada to a pair of silver medals as offensive line coach (2010) and offensive coordinator (2013) at the IFAF Women’s World Championships. In 2001, he served as the Montreal Blitz’ head coach for their inaugural season in the Women’s Independent Football League.
- Head coach
- Women’s Flag Football National Team, IFAF FFWC in 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2016
- Montréal Blitz (tackle football – IWFL), 2001
- Fleur de Lys (touch football), 2001 – present
- Collège Maisonneuve (flag football), 2001 – present
- Jean-Eudes (boys & girls flag football) benjamin, cadet, juvenile, 2010 – present
- Jean-Eudes (tackle football) cadet, 2016 – present
- École Secondaire Cité-des-Jeunes (tackle football), 2000, 2002
- Collège Bourget (tackle), 1998-1999
- Collège Jean-Eudes Aigles (flag football), 2003 – present
- Offensive coordinator
- Women’s National Team, 2013 Women’s World Championship (Finland)
- Jean-Eudes (tackle football) cadet, 2006-present
- Offensive line coach
- Women’s National Team, 2010 Women’s World Championship (Sweden)
Palmer returns from 2016
Chad Palmer is fresh off his flag worlds coaching debut, leading Canada to a 6-3 record. He is a long-time high school coach and has previously coached internationally with the Women’s National Team as well as with Team Saskatchewan on multiple occasions.
He began the Saskatoon Adult Flag Football League as a 21-team men’s and women’s senior flag league in 2012. After five years, it has become the largest in Saskatchewan boasting 72 teams playing an indoor season (winter) and outdoor season (summer).
- Head coach
- Men’s Flag Football National Team, 2016 IFAF FFWC
- Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach
- Aden Bowman Collegiate, 2014-present
- Saskatoon Valkyries, 2012-2016
- Team Saskatchewan, 2016 Women’s National Championship
- Receivers coach
- 2013 Women’s National Team, 2013 IFAF Women’s World Championship
- Quarterbacks coach
- U18 Team Saskatchewan-Green, 2014 Football Canada Cup
- U17 Team Saskatchewan, 2017 International Bowl
- Offensive line coach, special teams coordinator
- Bedford Road Collegiate, 2010-2014
This post is also available in: French