Discussion about proposed CIS interlock ‘Northern 8’
A proposal called the “Northern 8 Football Series” has been looking to create a national interlock between conferences at the Canadian university (CIS) level.
The proposal included:
- All interlock games would count towards conference standings
- In 2015 the interlock would include 2 Ontario teams, 2 from Canada West, 2 from the Quebec conference
- The Atlantic conference would be represented through their pre-existing interlock with Quebec
- The number of teams represented in the interlock was proposed to increase in 2016 from 8 to 10
- Each week an interlock game would be broadcast nationally
The proposal for the 2015 season was not accepted by all respective CIS conferences due to a number of factors including the tight timelines to discuss and implement the proposal as well as changing conference schedules that are already approved and in place.
A group called ‘the CIS Football Task Force’ is looking into the idea but is still in the early stages of discussion.
A page has been set-up where the football community can engage in a discussion about national interlock for CIS football: https://www.change.org/p/cis-football-schools-engage-in-discussions-to-start-the-northern8-football-series-sic-parlez-au-northern8