Job opportunity: Head coach, University of Guelph
The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.
Head Football Coach
Department of Athletics, Student Affairs
Hiring #: 2016-0500
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Manager of Intercollegiate Programs and the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach of the Gryphon’s Football Program is responsible for one of the Department’s most visible OUA and CIS varsity sports. The Head Football Coach coordinates and supervises all aspects of the football programming including, but not limited to: supervising an elite football environment for student-athletes to ensure the development of skills on and off the field; monitoring the academic progress of student-athletes and providing the appropriate academic resources where required; managing the team’s annual budget; recruiting student-athletes; and developing an extensive network of Gryphon football alumni and provide oversite, direction and leadership to all football coaching staff. In addition, the Head Coach is responsible for a summer football camp, ensuring a safe, fun, and educational experience for all participants.
To assume this role, candidates must have:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field; national coaching certification Level III; minimum three (3) years’ experience as head coach or assistant coach; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A coaching philosophy consistent with a commitment to the total development of the student athlete;
- Expertise in the game of football with exceptional skills in team selection, practice and game planning/scheduling, skill analysis, off season training and student athlete mentoring and counselling;
- A thorough knowledge of football policies, procedures, rules and regulations governed by Ontario University Association (OUA) and U Sport;
- Proven ability to recruit athletes throughout Canada and the United States;
- A reputation as someone with integrity, demonstrating professional and ethical conduct consistently;
- Superior organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities;
- Strong administrative skills with experience managing budgets;
- A demonstrated ability to build alumni support and fundraise;
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and conflict management skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a large team;
- A commitment to excellence;
- A team player, demonstrating a commitment to being a contributing member of a large team of coaches supporting the entire varsity program at the University of Guelph and all sharing a common mission to develop the whole student-athlete.
The University of Guelph is located in the City of Guelph which is a vibrant community of over 120,000 people, located in south western Ontario, 100 kilometres west of Toronto. Consistently ranked one of the best comprehensive universities in Canada, the University of Guelph is committed to the development of the whole student. Intercollegiate programs within the department of Athletics play a valuable role in supporting this mission. These programs provide student athletes with important experiential learning opportunities that prepare them for life and future employment while in pursuit of excellence. The University has a strong athletics program covering excellence in varsity programs, intramurals, interest classes, lifestyle development, sports clubs and fitness. Extensive athletic and recreation facilities support these programs including a brand new 170,000 square foot athletic centre and a 15,000 square foot football pavilion equipped with lounge, theatre rooms for video, physio tubs and strength and conditioning equipment, locker room, coaches offices and kitchen; all underpinning a strong value proposition for prospect student-athletes!
The University of Guelph offers a comprehensive compensation package commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about this opportunity please contact Sarah Lima, Senior Talent Advisor at 519.824.4120 x56495.
Closing Date: 2016 12 05